Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real--5/5/11

round button chicken

Pretty. Happy. Funny. Real.


Thanks to Danielle Bean and Cake Boss, I started getting a little more creative with the kids' birthday cakes a few years ago. They tell me what they want and we work together to make it doable. (I have already told one young man that when his turn comes in a few months I will make a mega-chocolate cake but no, it will not be a 7-tier Death by Chocolate with chocolate fondant, chocolate ganache, and buttercream-flavored icing with fondant pictures on it.)

This one was made with the nature-loving birthday boy at my elbow. He wanted squirrels and birds and trees, so that's what we did. I used a page from Draw Right Now 6 as inspiration. He ok'ed every placement. This is what we came up with.

I think I did ok; my wonderful family told me it looked like a painting. {pretty}

The birthday boy was happy, and that made me {happy}.

My husband was so {funny}--he started slicing the cake in the middle of nothing, dropped down to another blank space, and declared he couldn't bear to cut into the design. Such a sweetie. But we made it to eat it, so I commandeered the knife!

{Real} And, as you can tell, this picture was taken post-candles. And the picture is taken from a video (not that I'm a pro on a point-and-shoot) in my dining room's dimmed lighting. And contrary to my husband's flattery, I will not be opening a bakery any time soon. But these family cakes are fun, and my kids make me excited to be able to please them when each birthday comes!

Comments

Jessica Gordon said…
What a darling cake! I love it!! We love making creative birthday cakes in our home, and our latest was a Nesting Doll cake for my daughters 6th birthday.

Happy Birthday to your son! God bless!
That is such a sweet cake. Popping over from LMLD.
Unknown said…
Wow, a great cake! I like the nature colors. Happy Birthday to your son :)
Amy DM said…
Such a sweet cake--and even better, it was made with so much love.
Mrs. Fordyce said…
The cake is beautiful! Well done!
What a great cake! So glad everyone enjoyed it! Happy Birthday to your son!
Paula said…
Great cake! I usually do plain cakes. It seems so much work for a small cake. It's nice to see something 'doable' not all professional roses and such. You may inspire me next time :)
Jamie said…
That cake is great!! I bet he loved it!
Nadja said…
What an adorable cake! My older kids are outgroing the fancy cakes and are asking for things like a cheesecake, or a bundt with ganache frosting--I am glad I still have some little ones who force me to be a bit more creative!
Lisa said…
Good job, good job, good job!!! Wow!
Pippajo said…
I agree, the cake is adorable! And more importantly, just what your son wanted! Great job!

Popular Posts