Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real--5/5/11

round button chicken

Pretty. Happy. Funny. Real.


Thanks to Danielle Bean and Cake Boss, I started getting a little more creative with the kids' birthday cakes a few years ago. They tell me what they want and we work together to make it doable. (I have already told one young man that when his turn comes in a few months I will make a mega-chocolate cake but no, it will not be a 7-tier Death by Chocolate with chocolate fondant, chocolate ganache, and buttercream-flavored icing with fondant pictures on it.)

This one was made with the nature-loving birthday boy at my elbow. He wanted squirrels and birds and trees, so that's what we did. I used a page from Draw Right Now 6 as inspiration. He ok'ed every placement. This is what we came up with.

I think I did ok; my wonderful family told me it looked like a painting. {pretty}

The birthday boy was happy, and that made me {happy}.

My husband was so {funny}--he started slicing the cake in the middle of nothing, dropped down to another blank space, and declared he couldn't bear to cut into the design. Such a sweetie. But we made it to eat it, so I commandeered the knife!

{Real} And, as you can tell, this picture was taken post-candles. And the picture is taken from a video (not that I'm a pro on a point-and-shoot) in my dining room's dimmed lighting. And contrary to my husband's flattery, I will not be opening a bakery any time soon. But these family cakes are fun, and my kids make me excited to be able to please them when each birthday comes!

11 comments:

Jessica said...

What a darling cake! I love it!! We love making creative birthday cakes in our home, and our latest was a Nesting Doll cake for my daughters 6th birthday.

Happy Birthday to your son! God bless!

The Provincial Homemaker said...

That is such a sweet cake. Popping over from LMLD.

Jen @ Forever, For Always... said...

Wow, a great cake! I like the nature colors. Happy Birthday to your son :)

Amy said...

Such a sweet cake--and even better, it was made with so much love.

Mrs. Fordyce said...

The cake is beautiful! Well done!

Holly@ThreeSidedWheel said...

What a great cake! So glad everyone enjoyed it! Happy Birthday to your son!

Paula said...

Great cake! I usually do plain cakes. It seems so much work for a small cake. It's nice to see something 'doable' not all professional roses and such. You may inspire me next time :)

Jamie said...

That cake is great!! I bet he loved it!

Nadja said...

What an adorable cake! My older kids are outgroing the fancy cakes and are asking for things like a cheesecake, or a bundt with ganache frosting--I am glad I still have some little ones who force me to be a bit more creative!

Lisa said...

Good job, good job, good job!!! Wow!

Pippajo said...

I agree, the cake is adorable! And more importantly, just what your son wanted! Great job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails