100 Species Challenge--Pink Wood Sorrel

Now that it's spring, I think it's time to jump back into my 100 Species posts!


I had to identify this one after a little 2-year-old who loves flowers brought me some of these. I hadn't really thought much about them before, except that they are wildflowers, prettying up the place when they appear, but too small for vase arrangements. You can't see here, but their leaves look like shamrocks, so at first I just tried a Google search of "purple shamrock" and checked the image results. Turns out there's something called a "purple shamrock" that looks distinctly different from this, but they are related plants--the image that helped me nail this ID was a collection of three different "Oxalis" that included both pink wood sorrel and the purple shamrock.

1. Dogwood (Cornus florida)
2. Mockernut hickory (Carya tomentosa)
3. Leyland cypress (Cupressocyparis leylandii)
4. American beautyberry (Callicarpa americana)
5. Gregg's mistflower (Conoclinium greggii)
6. American holly (Ilex opaca)
7. Pokeberry (Phytolacca americana)
8. Pink wood sorrel (Oxalis articulata)

Comments

Popular Posts