Blessed John Paul II

I don't think I can call this blog "Saints in Progress" without noting something about the beatification of John Paul II. But as one blogger put it, it seems as though everything has already been said by someone else. I simply couldn't think of anything to say. I don't have any personal stories about him, or any teasable, deep connection with him. For almost my whole life until his death, he was the only pope I knew--he was the personification of the Catholic faith to me, and I loved him and defended him and watched him. I have always been grateful for his work in the Church and the world, and (though I knew it even in college when I was arguing and writing letters to the campus newspaper against the vitriol aimed at him) it is dawning on me more every season how profound and far-reaching that work is.

Now that I am more mature (even than I was six years ago), I look forward to learning more from his legacy of thought, and to getting to know him as, you might say, an individual, now that he has (presumably) attained heaven and realized the fullness of who God made him to be.* I will say, though, that what I hope is most firmly rooted within my soul is something he preached throughout his pontificate. Something I find myself needing to hear and know and believe more often now than I did in college, or perhaps even six years ago...

Do not be afraid.

Blessed John Paul II, pray for us!




*May God one day grant me that merciful and glorious fate!

Comments

Popular Posts