Thank you, St. Francis!


Remember this well: we are sometimes so busy being good angels that we neglect to be good men and women.
- St. Francis de Sales
(Today's quote from the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales)

Well, I don't think that I'm in much danger of being that kind of so-busy, but it's a good point to remember--we are called to be holy in our natural sphere. In fact, one of my perennial struggles is trying to be more than what I am, and neglecting to be what I am. More later on that, perhaps.

St. Francis is one of my favorite saints. He wrote extensively--he is credited with reconverting entire regions of France from Calvinism with his written pamphlets defending the faith, and he wrote many other spiritual masterpieces of devotion and pastoral direction. (
Here's a particularly exquisite example, and apropos of the vocation of mothers, of the gentle heart he has for souls.)
I don't know half enough about this great saint, but I know that this is a perfect day to resolve to read some of these great works that merited him to called a Doctor of the Church. Today is his feast day.

Do you have a favorite example (quote, title, anecdote) about St. Francis de Sales to share?

Comments

Gardenia said…
I don't know much about him. But your post inspires me to learn a bit more. There are so many wonderful saints to research and come to admire and love. I always love reading of St. Therese of Lisieux and just finished a good book on Saint Padre Pio.
Thank you, Gardenia, it's nice to see you here. Padre Pio is one that I have been making an effort to get to know, too. God has raised up some truly incredible saints.

Popular Posts