On Shrove Tuesday, for your prayer arsenal

I have become more mindful of the sin of taking the Lord's name in vain. How prevalent it is, and not easily corrected, unless the person is already religious of mind. I do not pretend to understand the fullness of the application not to take the Lord's name in vain. I can, however, attempt to make amends for its occurence by offering my praise. (Usually I'll try to do it quietly, so as not to draw attention. I'm talking about people who drop OMG--spell it out--at every effusion. They would only roll their eyes and tune you out if you said, "I'm trying to make reparation for your sin of blasphemy.)

This is from Holy Face Devotion, a prayer of reparation for the sin of blasphemy:

May the most Holy, most Sacred, most Adorable,
Most Incomprehensible and Ineffable Name of God
Be always Praised, Blessed, Loved, Adored and Glorified,
In Heaven, on Earth and under the Earth,
By all the Creatures of God,
And by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
In the most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

The prayer above is a mouthful, and it's hard to say all of that under your breath fast, so often I will simply say something like, "Praise be to Jesus Christ" or "Blessed be the name of Jesus," or the Jesus prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Perhaps you could resolve this Lent to make this simple prayer more often, especially when the vocabulary of the world reminds you that it needs your prayers.

Comments

Popular Posts