Our favorite Advent and Christmas books

Charlotte always has some great Advent and Christmas reading.

From her I got the idea of wrapping the books to open and read, one a day. It didn't happen this year because some little people used all my purple wrapping paper for birthday presents. :-)

For a while I would get a new title for each child on St. Nicholas' feast day, so we have a good collection of Christmas books. Now Jessica is hosting a link-up so we can share!

Here are some of our favorites (this year, at least!).


The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry. We have the beautiful version illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger.

Jacob's Gift: The handiwork, the sacrifice, the humble generosity.

We Three Kings, for Gennady Spirin's illustrations and the scrolling carol in all five verses.

Bright Christmas, from an angel's perspective.

The Donkey's Dream, a lovely and gentle intro to Marian / Christological imagery.

I grew up with Douglas Gorsline's illustration of The Night Before Christmas.

King of the Stable, if only for the look on that boy's face on the cover! (But not only for that!)

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. I can't believe there was a time when I didn't know about this book.

The Crippled Lamb, a touching favorite.

Santa's Favorite Story, when Santa takes a rest and tells where Christmas came from. The little ones love it.

They also, having sweet tooths all, love The Candymaker's Gift and want to try to make candy canes this year!

Comments

Laurie said…
It is so fun to get a peek in to all these advent/Christmas libraries! I also love that version of "The Night Before Christmas". We have many, but that is the one that I had for my now adult daughters. I repurchased a few years back to read with my younger children.
Gardenia said…
I too am loving all the glimpses into other families' Advent book lists. And your is just lovely. we've got many of the same on our list, but some new ones I'll be checking into. thanks for sharing.
Stina said…
Ooh! Those are some good ones!!! Thanks for sharing!
Stina said…
And I love the quote under your blog title!
Patty said…
You have a beautiful collection for your family! I know they must be ejoying these :)

Popular Posts