Frozen Strawberry Torte

Not quite in time for the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, but there are plenty of other feast days that make good use of strawberries. I'm thinking maybe the Assumption in August, or next year in May. Or this: at Catholic Cuisine I just found an inspired example of a strawberry garnish that you can use for tomorrow's feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, if you want to hurry and mix this up tonight (since it has to be frozen ahead of time). Check it out--it's beautiful!

This is a simple summer dessert that my husband loves. When I was a kid I used to request it instead of a birthday cake, despite my birthday falling around Thanksgiving every year. Originally it had a crust made with nuts, but out of expediency, and for a husband who doesn't care for nuts, I now use a graham cracker crust.

 


Frozen Strawberry Torte

1/2 cup egg substitute (originally 2 egg whites)
15 ounces frozen sliced, sweetened strawberries
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
16 ounces whip cream*
2 graham cracker crusts

Beat the egg substitute, adding sugar gradually. Add the lemon juice and strawberries and mix lightly. Fold in the whip cream. Pour the mixture into the two graham cracker crusts. (If you're making your own, you could just use a 9x13 dish and make one big one--that's the way I remember it.) Freeze  overnight. Before serving, let it sit at room temperature for just a few minutes to make slicing it easier. Slice it right before serving, garnish each slice with a dollop of whip cream and a sliced strawberry.


* When I say "whip cream" I mean that I use the frozen stuff you buy at the store that I don't want to violate trade marks by mentioning. I don't want to say "whipped topping," though; because, although I have never actually whipped my own cream for this so I don't know how it would turn out, I don't want to discourage any of you who do like to use their own whipped cream. It would probably be great. If you do try it, let me know how it turns out! 

Comments

Popular Posts