Books and Blogs

My not-so-new favorite blog, Modern Mrs. Darcy, recently posted about how she tracks her reading ("begrudgingly"). I've been wanting to do this ever since I signed up with Goodreads in 2012. I got started in earnest as part of my 2013 resolutions and even wrote a review of The Hobbit that the impressive Julie Davis liked, but then Amazon acquired Goodreads, and I was mad at Amazon about something (I don't remember what but it probably still applies), and I swore off Goodreads. I've thought about book journals and Pinterest and the like, but I guess the truth is that I am also one who would rather spend her time reading books than logging them.

But her post got me thinking perhaps I should give it another go. Plus, the volume of book-blogging she does has me wondering just how much book-reading I actually do—not as much as I would like, I'd bet. I think tracking my reading will help me get a better idea than the stacks of library books on my nightstand, and maybe give me the nudge to finish a few more of those titles before they go back to the library. (Not to mention the ones I bought or held on to with high hopes, only to forget them over and over again between dustings.)

So hey, what better way to start than with a reading challenge!

Two of them, actually, because reading challenges are fun—maybe better than book clubs. I would obsessively collect more to participate in if I wanted to indulge in optimistic hopes about meeting goals and stuff. (Yeah, I don't do New Year's resolutions anymore.)

Graphic from samantha-lin.com

In fairness, the first one that caught my eye gets the first mention: The Authors A to Z Reading Challenge. Super simple, super fun: try to read a book by one author (use the author's last name) for each letter of the alphabet. I don't really have a plan for this one, beyond reading a few books I already know I want to read, start filling in the letters, and plug in any holes as I see the need and opportunity. Doubling up with the second challenge is allowed, and I already have some thoughts for that one that may give me some of those more obscure letters.

Of course the second challenge is Modern Mrs. Darcy's own. The 2015 Reading Challenge got me to actually commit to some more intentional reading this year, or from now on, or something. As I looked at the different categories, I started thinking of titles I wanted to read for each one, and I thought, yeah, this could be fun. Go check it out; she's got a Pinterest board and a printable, yeah?


graphic from ModernMrsDarcy.com

Soon I'll tell you about some of the reading I've been doing and planning, and I'll describe how we track the kids' reading. In the meantime, tell me: should I give Goodreads another go? I really can't decide. 

And if you've got a fun reading challenge you're doing (or if you think one up and need company), tell me about it, too!




Comments

Popular Posts