The Web for Kids--Personalized

Via Wonder in the Woods comes the idea of an online "portal" for kids. The basic idea here is of a website in a blog format, with picture links to different websites geared toward (or approved by you for) children, be they games, educational interactives, or whatever. I love the idea of having all of the online learning and game resources that appeal to my family accessible in one place, and minimizing the need for little ones to navigate through the Internet to find their different favorites. I'd probably make it my homepage, so all they would have to do is open a new page to get started.

I haven't started one yet, because they really don't use the computer a lot, much less the Internet; but we've found some activities that we really like (for school, rewards, communication) and are planning to integrate them into our daily lives a little more this summer. Among the possibilities, I'm sure a Lego link is going to top the list, and we're beginning an online tutoring program called ALEKS for math with at least one of the kids in the next few weeks. I'll have to experiment with my school bookmarks a little to see what else will work.

Do you have any favorite web sites for kids? What would be at your online portal?

Comments

Popular Posts